Bug bites and stings are an inevitable a part of summer time. Regardless of utilizing bug-repelling crops, citronella candles, and swatting away pesky mosquitoes, I can’t appear to keep away from these itchy bites! This 100% pure bug chunk balm, made with a number of easy elements, gives soothing aid for redness, itching, and swelling.
And it doesn’t sting like different bug chunk cures, which is a big bonus. Oh, and—did I point out?—it additionally smells great!
For this balm, I selected elements based mostly on how properly they take the sting out of bug bites. In case you have kids (and even if you happen to don’t), you know the way not possible it may be to get them to cease scratching! It’s all they need to do!
So it’s necessary to decide on important oils and butters which have been proven to appease irritation, calm the hearth, and do away with the itch.
- Calendula oil – Not solely is calendula tremendous soothing, however it’s additionally a serious anti-inflammatory that’s been used for hundreds of years to deal with wounds [source] that simply received’t appear to heal. In the event you’re in a rush, you should buy calendula oil on the retailer, however we suggest making your individual contemporary calendula oil for optimum skin-soothing advantages you probably have the time.
- Tea tree important oil – Recognized for its anti-pain, anti-swelling, and anti-itching qualities, tea tree can be antibacterial and antifungal, so it ought to assist preserve these annoying bug bites from getting contaminated [source].
- Lavender important oil – Lavender is a robust anti-inflammatory [source] with soothing pain-relieving results [source] that rapidly take the ache and itch out of bites.
- Beeswax – All-natural beeswax gives therapeutic and moisturizing properties. Plus, it provides this bug chunk balm a stable, balmy consistency.
- Shea butter – Usually used as a pure physique lotion, shea butter comprises many forms of fatty acids that work as moisturizers, antioxidants, and a excessive vitamin E content material [source].
- Avocado oil – This oil has been proven to advertise collagen formation [source], moisturize chapped pores and skin, and cut back age spots. Plus it has a thick, soothing consistency that I really like.
See recipe card for portions.
To get began, soften shea butter, avocado oil, and beeswax in a small pan over low warmth and stir properly.
Take away from warmth and stir in calendula, lavender, and tea tree oils. It does set rapidly as soon as it’s off the warmth, so that you’ll need to work quick.
Pour the melted oils right into a small glass jar and let cool for a number of hours or in a single day.
It makes about 5 ounces of balm, which ought to final one individual all the summer time. To make use of, apply on to bug bites 2–3 instances a day, or as usually as wanted to maintain itching at bay.
Trace: This recipe makes a fairly stable bug chunk balm that received’t soften within the warmth of the summer time. In the event you favor a softer cream, use half as a lot beeswax.
This recipe is fairly versatile. Whereas the elements are tried and examined in my house, they’re not the one ones you should utilize. It’s fairly onerous to mess this up, so be at liberty to check out totally different mixtures of oils till you discover one thing that works for you.
- Lavender important oil—Chamomile, peppermint, and rose geranium are all soothing important oils that may assist take the itch out of bug bites. See beneath for a whole record of oils. Simply ensure to maintain the identical variety of complete drops within the recipe when switching out important oils.
- Avocado oil—Any impartial provider oil will work, however you may strive olive, coconut, jojoba, or almond oil.
- Beeswax—In the event you’re vegan or would like to make use of a less expensive various, you should utilize pure candelilla wax rather than beeswax.
I favor to make use of a number of small jars which can be simple to toss in my bag or preserve within the medication cupboard, however your bug chunk balm can simply be poured into an empty lip balm tube (like these bug chunk sticks) for hands-free utility.
This balm ought to preserve for 6-12 months with out going dangerous. In the event you discover an off scent, the oils might have gone rancid, through which case it is best to make a contemporary batch.
Finest Important Oils for Bug Bites
A number of important oils are identified for his or her anti-inflammatory properties that may soothe bug bites and supply aid from itching, redness, and irritation.To make use of, combine 6 drops of oil with a tablespoon of provider oil and therapeutic massage into the pores and skin.
1. Lavender: A examine performed in 2015 discovered that lavender has anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving properties, for one use just like that of steroids [source], making it an ideal alternative for bug bites.
2. Rose geranium: Rose geranium important oil is another choice that’s usually used to appease bug bites. It is identified for its nice floral scent and potential skin-soothing properties to scale back the redness, swelling, and irritation of bites.
3. Lemongrass: Because of its anti-inflammatory properties [source], lemongrass may also help calm the irritation and discomfort related to insect bites. Plus, it will probably assist preserve bugs from biting within the first place!
4. Camphor: Due to its analgesic and anti inflammatory properties [source], camphor important oil is good for treating even the worst insect bites. Moreover, it additionally comprises insecticidal properties [source], making it helpful in serving to to maintain the bugs away to start with!
5. Chamomile: Each Roman and German chamomile oils have anti-inflammatory properties that may assist alleviate itching and irritation brought on by bug bites.
6. Tea Tree: Tea tree oil is a unbelievable oil to have readily available for any variety of pores and skin points. It is a light but highly effective oil that’s often used to each stop bug bites and deal with them after the actual fact.
8. Cypress: Cypress important oil is used for varied pores and skin points, together with irritation. It comprises antimicrobial properties [source] that may assist help pores and skin well being and therapeutic, and it is also thought of to be extremely astringent.
9. Peppermint: Peppermint important oil (and different oils containing menthol) creates a cooling sensation on the pores and skin that helps soothe the burn and itch you usually get with bites. Peppermint oil can be antimicrobial [source], which helps cut back the chance of an infection related to some bites.
Variation: Soothing Bug Chew Spray
As an alternative of a balm, you can also make a bug chunk spray with important oils that work collectively to calm irritation, ease the itch, and preserve irritation at bay.
Pour provider oil right into a small spray bottle. Add important oils, then exchange the lid and provides it shake. Fill the remainder of the bottle with rose water.
Spritz 1–2 instances instantly on bug bites, and gently therapeutic massage into the pores and skin. Wash your arms when completed.
Variation: All-Pure Bug Spray
Do that easy bug-repelling spray to maintain bugs away:
Pour jojoba oil into your spray bottle then add the important oils. High with witch hazel and glycerin. Shake very properly earlier than utilizing because the elements naturally separate.
When making use of, you do not want very a lot – a number of spritzes labored nice for every arm and leg. It does must be reapplied extra usually than different repellants – each few hours or so.
Positive, I don’t see why not! You can too use it to moisturize dry hair or soften parched pores and skin after spending time within the solar.
Sure, peppermint oil is great for soothing itchy, irritated pores and skin. Its scent is extremely sturdy, although, so solely add 2–3 drops at most.
No, after we say “calendula oil” on this recipe, we’re referring to a provider oil, similar to olive or jojoba, that has been infused with calendula, like the method right here.
It’s measured by weight. An oz. of stable beeswax is roughly 2 tablespoons melted.
All-Pure Bug Chew and Sting Balm
Made with 100% pure elements to appease the itch and ache of bug bites and stings.
Yield: 5 ounces
In a small pan, soften shea butter, avocado oil, and beeswax. Stir properly.
Take away from warmth and stir in calendula, lavender, and tea tree oils.
Let cool barely, then pour into small jars or lip balm containers. Let cool fully.
To make use of, apply on to bug bites 2–3 instances a day, or as usually as wanted to maintain itching at bay.
This balm ought to preserve for at the least a 12 months with out going dangerous. In the event you discover an off scent, the oils might have gone rancid, through which case it is best to make a contemporary batch.
This text was medically reviewed by Dr. Gina Jansheski, a licensed, board-certified doctor who has greater than 20 years of follow expertise. Be taught extra about Howdy Glow’s medical reviewers right here. As at all times, this isn’t private medical recommendation, and we suggest that you simply discuss together with your physician.