What’s grey hair mixing? We discuss loads about ditching the dye, however what if you would like a extra refined, mild develop out of your grey? We’re digging into the nitty-gritty on what even is grey mixing, why you’d need to do it and the way to make it occur on your hair – preserve studying for the small print!
By: Lisa Fennessy
IN THIS POST:
There isn’t any common definition for “grey hair mixing”
In a linguistics class I took as a part of my ASL Decoding B.S. at Northeastern College, we talked in regards to the formation of recent phrases in language. At the moment, the phrase “e mail” had simply hit the scene and I bear in mind seeing Deaf individuals use MANY DIFFERENT indicators for e mail. I witnessed the identical factor occur with ideas like “pal me” and “Instagram” and the like. Over time, what tends to occur is an indication, or a small set of indicators, naturally turns into the norm and that’s what most individuals will use going ahead.
And this occurs in all languages and all cultures. Language resides, it’s evolving and without end altering because the world adjustments round us.
In English, now we have phrases that stick and phrases that by no means caught. Like how about “acersecomicke” that confirmed up in Seventeenth-century dictionaries, that means “one who’s hair was by no means lower”. Or “deipnosophist” to explain an individual who is sweet at desk discuss. And don’t even get me began on Paris Hilton’s 2019 “sliving”, lol.
I say all this as a result of though “grey hair mixing” is gaining curiosity as a option to rep your grays, it’s nonetheless in its infancy and no common definition has “caught” or been generally agreed upon by stylists and customers…but. As grey hair mixing will get used extra and talked about extra (or not), time will resolve if this turns into an idea that holds a common that means or one which falls by the wayside. BUT we’re not there but, therefore why there’s a lot buzz and confusion round “what’s grey mixing.”
To additional illustrate this level, Faisal Ahmed Hammadi, trichologist and co-founder of poweryourcurls.com agrees. He says, “There isn’t any common definition for grey hair mixing, however purchasers can simply clarify that they need to mix their grays in a pure manner.” He describes grey hair mixing basically as a customized shade course of that blends grey hair progress with a shade that fits.
Hair stylist/colorist Chelsea Bearson (Nicolle’s stylist who’s a marvel with shade correction) gave a extra concrete definition, saying, “Grey mixing is principally for the consumer who needs to both begin the method to go all the way in which grey, or has grey and doesn’t care to completely cowl it. So we ‘mix’ the grey by permitting dimension that considerably disguises boring pure hair, however is much less upkeep than full protection shade. Normally this can be a foil so as to add highlights and lowlights to the pure grey current, or it’s a extra sheer throughout shade that enables the grey to indicate by barely.”
Digging in a bit extra we see Vogue describe grey hair mixing as, “A refined hair shade software that oscillates between highlights and balayage. Like a sport of chiaroscuro, the colorist will first lighten giant sections of hair with a lightweight balayage, then intensify the impact on just a few finer strands to mix within the grey hair naturally current.”
After which Glamour saying it’s, “Like O.G. balayage, [this] approach creates gentle and shade all through your hair. Sweeping sections of highlights are blended seamlessly in amongst different strands to interrupt up blocks of shade and guarantee hair appears multidimensional. The distinction right here is that the tones of the highlights are intentionally chosen to mix away grays or highlight them.”
[I have to make a note here: I take umbrage with the pics in the Vogue and Glamour articles. They’re not gray blending—they’re just examples of beautiful gray hair! When we’re talking about this trend, we need to showcase gray blending with natural hair colors too, so we have more examples in case women lean this way when going gray. See below for some true examples of gray hair blending.]
So after I requested my hairdresser, (voted Atlanta’s #1 colorist) how she would outline “grey hair mixing” and he or she answered with, “Are you speaking about mixing grey with earlier shade?”—answering a query with a query—I assumed it a becoming conclusion to my analysis, lol.
As you’ll be able to see, there isn’t any actual agreed upon definition for grey hair mixing, so I actually need the takeaway of this publish to be: when you stroll right into a salon and ask for “grey mixing” or “grey hair mixing” be ready to be upset. Nobody can learn your thoughts and what you suppose grey mixing is will almost certainly be completely different from what that stylist thinks it’s. As an alternative, describe precisely what you need, convey photos and be open to taking recommendation.
Don’t have any photos to convey with you? Right here’s are couple pics of FOR REAL grey hair mixing to assist spark some inspo!
What’s grey hair mixing?
Since there isn’t any common definition of grey mixing, listed here are among the methods that can be utilized to realize a blended look…
- Including highlights and / or lowlights
- Including highlights across the face
- Including shade again into the hair in sure sections
- Lifting shade out of the hair in sure sections
- Including extensions
- Utilizing foil methods, cap methods or portray methods
- And a lot extra.
Relying in your hair kind and grey hair patterns, a number of of those methods could higher go well with you over others. And since grey hair is completely different on everybody, what grey hair mixing appears like on you’ll not look the identical on another person.
RELATED: Make-up ideas for grey hair.
Grey mixing execs and cons
- It is a enjoyable option to play with shade.
- It’s particularly a superb choice for individuals with naturally lighter toned hair.
- You may make this course of no matter you need, i.e. just a few highlights across the face or lowlights all through or a mix of each or one thing completely completely different.
- It’s an empowering option to observe self love.
- It’s not for everybody.
- It might find yourself inflicting harm or breakage (particularly for darkish hair).
- It may be costly to maintain up (like getting highlights or foils).
- It’s onerous to retain the tone of grey / silver highlights – they have an inclination to fade and wash out rapidly.
- It’s very onerous to match the sample of individuals’s grey hair (which varies particular person to particular person) so if you’re going for a “pure look” this may not be the choice for you.
- In the long run, you could find yourself feeling such as you’ve began from sq. one once more—now having to develop out the newly handled hair.
- You have to discover a colorist who’s expert at doing this as there’s a big margin for error right here.
Grey hair mixing takeaways
After wanting into grey hair mixing as a option to don grays, there are just a few key issues to remember when deciding if that is an choice you need to discover.
- This tactic is greatest for hair that has been undyed (i.e. not dyed full shade. Excessive/lowlights can work).
- It really works greatest while you don’t but have a full head of grey hair—the highlights which can be usually added can mimic a still-coming-in grey sample extra simply.
- Be CLEAR about what you need together with your stylist, particularly in the event that they’re not a grey hair mixing professional. Deliver photographs, present examples and verbally perceive what you’re asking for earlier than you go in.
- When you have darker hair, you’ll have to be sure to have an skilled colorist to handle the method, to keep away from damaging your hair an excessive amount of.
Would you strive grey hair mixing? Have you ever tried grey hair mixing?
TNK Crew Be aware: This text accommodates affiliate hyperlinks. TNK makes use of affiliate hyperlinks as a supply for income to fund operations of the enterprise and to be much less depending on branded content material. TNK stands behind all product suggestions. Nonetheless have questions on these hyperlinks or our course of? Be happy to e mail us.
Grey hair mixing FAQ
There isn’t any common definition for “grey hair mixing”. Be taught extra about grey mixing right here.
There are numerous option to transition hair to a pure grey. One refined manner known as grey hair mixing. Be taught extra about it right here.
Purchasers ought to clarify to their stylist that they need to mix their grays in a pure manner. A superb stylist could have concepts on one of the best ways to try this for the consumer’s distinctive hair shade and texture. Be taught extra right here.
It’s necessary to work together with your stylist and present them examples of precisely what you take note of as grey hair mixing can imply various things to completely different individuals. There isn’t any one definition of it. See instance of grey hair mixing right here.
– It is a enjoyable option to play with shade.
– It’s particularly a superb choice for individuals with naturally lighter toned hair.
– You may make this course of no matter you need, i.e. just a few highlights across the face or lowlights – all through or a mix of each or one thing completely completely different.
– It’s an empowering option to observe self love.
Be taught extra about grey hair mixing right here.
-It’s not for everybody.
-It might find yourself inflicting harm or breakage (particularly for darkish hair).
-It may be costly to maintain up (like getting highlights or foils).
-It’s onerous to retain the tone of grey / silver highlights – they have an inclination to fade and wash out rapidly.
-It’s very onerous to match the sample of individuals’s grey hair (which varies particular person to particular person) so if you’re going for a “pure look” this may not be the choice for you.
-In the long run, you could find yourself feeling such as you’ve began from sq. one once more—now having to develop out the newly handled hair.
-You have to discover a colorist who’s expert at doing this as there’s a big margin for error right here.
Be taught extra about grey hair mixing right here.